Our Wedding Anniversary Counter

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Making Roti with our Friends!


This past Monday, Krish and I hosted a play date at our house and taught all our friends how to make roti!  We were inspired to host this play date by one of Krish's favorite books: What Should I Make?  The book is about a little boy, Niraj, who plays with roti dough in the kitchen while his mom is making roti.  He uses his imagination to shape the dough into different animals, and at the end, he helps his mom roll out the dough into a circle and then watches it puff up on the tava!

All the tots loved the book!  They listened and watched so intently as I read it to them.  It was an interesting experience for me too because I felt like a school teacher!  After reading the book, we let the tots play with their own chunk of roti dough and roll them out into rotis.  We actually had enough vellans for all of them (which were immediately used to bang on the table in synchronized fashion as soon as they were distributed)!  It was actually really cute!





Yes, they all tried eating the roti dough!

Both the mamas and the kids had so much fun learning about Indian food and our culture.  Krish and I were so proud to teach them all about it!  The tots enjoyed watching the rotis puff up on the tava and then eating them with yogurt cups and a val/bataka shaak that we had made.  The Moms of course enjoyed trying the shaak more!  Most of them asked for the recipe!  They were all so appreciative of us introducing them to our culture that it made us feel very happy to have such great friends!  Overall, the whole experience was amazing and one that we will never forget!

2 comments: